Monday, June 30, 2008

Vacation fun!

So this past week we took a little 'mini' vacation to Utah for a few days. Before we even left we decided to make it a trip all about McKinlee, and make sure that we did things that SHE wanted to do. Now, her being only two and all can make this kind of challenging, but we did it and we had a complete blast! We went down on Tuesday afternoon-night so our real fun didn't start until Wednesday. Those of you who know me know that I would prefer to get up in the morning and get things done...so there was no sleeping in for this family. We were up and out of the hotel by about 8:30 so we could be to the Hogle Zoo at 9:00 when it opens..we made it at about 9:10 or so. I was so glad to get there early before the major crowds showed up and before it got unbearably hot. McKinlee LOVED the zoo!! For a few days I had been telling her we were going to the zoo and all she could talk about seeing were the monkeys and the 'girapps' (giraffs in two year old talk). The cutest thing happened when we were heading to see the giraffes....I could see them before she could, so I told her that the giraffes were just up the hill. She then picks up speed and starts yelling 'Giapps, I'm coming girapps'. So dang cute!!! Anyhow, the zoo was awesome and aside from the girapps she loved the carousel! In fact we rode it twice! We were out of the zoo around 11:30 and then heading to the Mayan restaurant which was a hit!! Entertainment during eating time is a must for McKinlee. The rest of the day consisted of swimming and shopping. McKinlee is becoming such a great swimmer! She likes to swim with her floaties all by herself and is getting so good at jumping off the side of the pool.
Thursday was the aquarium day. I am a nerd, but I even had her wear this new outfit that had a fish on the pants and I put a fish hair barrette in her hair. She enjoyed the aquarium, and it only took us about a half hour to see everything. So since it was a day about fish, we ate at Joe's Crab Shack. hahah. Before lunch we actally took her to her first movie in the big theater. We saw Kung Fu Panda..cute movie! She did great. She lasted about 20 minutes then laid down and slept until the last 10 minutes! If I knew she would be that good I would take her to all the movies! After lunch and movie there was yet more swimming and just hanging out.
Friday was the trip home, and Jared let me stop at Park City to do some serious shopping...man I love those outlet stores! After a few stops and listening to "Finding Nemo" about 20 thousand times, we made it home!
We had so much fun just being our little family. I just realized I didn't mention Logan...well, he was Logan, just great! He slept, and ate, and actually got in the swimming pool for a few minutes. He is so easy to travel with!
Here is a slide show of fun times from the trip. (for those of you who don't know...(mom) you can click on the slide show and it will open up so you can stop on certain pictures and click through at your own pace)



So I have to explain this next picture...I am sure both Grandmas will love this. For breakfast Friday morning we decided to stop at Smith's and get a box of donuts. McKinlee was being a complete two year old and I actually had to take the kids out of the store while Jared finished up. Anyways, she really wanted a donut, and me being the freak of a mom I am, didn't want her to get dirty at all, especially chocolate dirty. So I purposely put a plain cake donut in the box just for McKinlee to eat because I figured there wouldn't be quite the mess. Well, she has this sweet tooth for chocolate (I am blaming that on Grandma Mayes), and she knew that there was a chocolate donut in the box and she wouldn't even touch the plain cake one. So, remembering that this was a vacation all about her, I gave in and gave her the chocolate donut. Could she eat it like a normal person? No. She ate off all of the chocolate frosting and then I heard 'here mommy', and she would hand me the rest of the donut, all slimy with little teeth marks in it. So here is what she looked like after the donut incident.

6 comments:

Christine Williams said...

What a fun weeekend! We are taking the girls to Lagoon next Thursday and now I totally want to take them to the zoo. And where is that aquarium? My girls would love that. What a good idea to stick kinda close to home yet still completely be on vacation. Great idea. Adorable pictures!

Alison said...

McKinlee definitely knows the way to eat a donut! Too funny! Looks like a great vacation. I would love to do exactly what you did! So fun!

Brandi said...

What a great weekend! You guys are so cute to make it all about her. How fun!!! I agree with McKinlee- if there is a chocolate donut, why eat a plain one!!! Next time I am in Utah I will have to check out the aquarium...and I am the same way about matching events (fish hairstuff and pants) just too cute!

Love her hair cut...she is just adorable!

Amber said...

What a fun packed week!! Love the gymbo - did the outlet have any good deals? She always looks adorable - just like her mamma!

Cody and Jill said...

What fun i haven't been to lagoon and the zoo for ever i forgot how fun that looks

Ann-Marie said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. Congrats on the donut incident. Her haircut is too cute.